Latinx Voices: Local Arts and Civic Organizations
Today is the last day of Latinx Heritage Month and we’d like to cap off this month of celebration by uplifting the vital and exciting work that several Latinx arts and civic organizations are doing here in Minnesota. Thank you for your support of MN Opera and the Minnesota Latinx community!
Arts and Education
- Lake Street Story Circles Project by Pangea World Theater – Lake Street Story Circles Project brings a cohort of ten artists together to hold Story Circles and create new performances about life, spirit, resistance, politics, vision, relationships, history, business, survival and joy.
- Indigenous Roots – Dedicated to building, supporting, and cultivating opportunities for Indigenous peoples and communities of color through cultural arts and activism.
- Cine Latino at Home (October 15-22) – MSP Film Society presents a celebration of new Latin American and Ibero cinema.
- Ricardo Levins Morales Art Studio – Ricardo Levins Morales is an artist and organizer based in Minneapolis. He uses his art as a form of political medicine to support individual and collective healing from the injuries and ongoing reality of oppression.
- Teatro del Pueblo
Teatro del Pueblo promotes Latino culture through the creation and presentation of performing arts. Teatro develops and supports Latino artists, provides educational opportunities for all to experience Latino culture and promotes cross-cultural dialogue
- Academia Cesar Chavez Charter School
Serving the educational needs of Latino youth and families in St. Paul
- Minnesota Education Equity Partnership (MnEEP)
A nonprofit collaborative, founded in 1987 and formerly called Minnesota Minority Education Partnership (MMEP), seeking to increase the success of Minnesota students of color in Minnesota schools, colleges, and universities
A unique educational collaboration that engages students, faculty and practitioners in learning that generates knowledge and tools for social transformation and community building
Organizing and Advocacy
- Centro de Trabajadores Unidoes en Lucha (CTUL)
- Centro Campesino
- Voices for Racial Justice: Organizing Training (formerly the Organizing Apprenticeship Project)
- Immigrant Law Center of Minnesota
- Labor Education Service of the Center for Human Resources and Labor Studies (Carlson School of Management)
- Chicanos Latinos Unidos En Servicio (CLUES)
Leading provider of social services for the Latino community in Minnesota through its five core service areas of Mental Health, Chemical Health, Employment, Education and Elder Wellness
- Casa de Esperanza
Hispanic emergency shelter with complete living needs for battered women and their children
Crisis line 651-772-1611
- La Oportunidad
Provides bilingual and culturally relevant education and support to Latino children, youth, adults, and families so that they develop the skills necessary to build strong families and communities
- CENTRO and La Siembra Program
For young Latino children and their families, CENTRO is a community meeting place (el Zócalo) for Latino families and their children