Project Opera is Minnesota Opera’s youth training program for talented young singers. The group performs one opera a year that is for kids and by kids. Project Opera students also serve as the children’s chorus in Minnesota Opera main stage productions.
This season features two fully-staged youth operas: The Gondoliers by Gilbert and Sullivan for our Giovani, and Brundibár by Hans Kraska for the Ragazzi. Performances are scheduled for February 8-9, and tickets are on sale now.
|Originally performed by the children of Theresienstadt concentration camp in occupied Czechoslovakia, penniless Aninku and Pepíček overcome the evil organ grinder Brundibár to sing in the market square.||In Gilbert and Sullivan’s great satire of class distinctions, two young gondoliers must unexpectedly rule the kingdom until it can be determined which of them is the rightful king.
About Project Opera
Project Opera is Minnesota Opera’s youth training program for talented young singers. The group performs one opera a year that is for kids and by kids. Project Opera students also serve as the children’s chorus in Minnesota Opera main stage productions. Minnesota Opera is looking for all talented singers who want to learn about singing, acting, and opera. Be a part of one of the most exciting and unique programs in the country!
Graduates have gone on to study music at the Julliard School, Manhattan School of Music, Eastman School of Music, Indiana University, Oberlin, Lawrence Conservatory, Luther College, St. Olaf, among others, and have performed with opera companies throughout the US, Canada, and Europe including: LA Opera, Santa Fe Opera, Canadian Opera Company, Opera Theater of St Louis, Sarasota Opera, Theater Koblenz, Madison Opera, Opera Saratoga, Mill City Opera, Skylark Opera, and Minnesota Opera.
- Ragazzi is a mixed group of talented singers in grades 4-8. They explore the world of opera and choral music, develop skills in multi-part singing, and the basics in performing in foreign languages.
- Giovani is a mixed group made up of students in grades 9-12 who perform primarily in a choral music setting. Participants develop the fundamentals of solo singing, basic acting skills and perform in the chorus of an age-appropriate opera in the spring with the Apprentices.
- Apprentices, for advanced students in grade 12 to develop skills in solo singing, stage presence, advanced language skills, and more.
Participants work closely with Minnesota Opera and other local artists.
- Ragazzi – Saturdays (9am-12pm)
- Giovani – Saturdays (9am-12pm)
- Apprentices – Saturday (12:30-2:30pm)
Please note that rehearsal times may change throughout the year, and may include weekend and weekday evening rehearsals. A complete schedule will be sent upon request.
The Project Opera season starts in September and runs through May and generally follows the school calendar.
Participation is by audition only. For more information, please email Music Director Matthew Abernathy at email@example.com.
- Ragazzi: $1,000
- Giovani: $1,000
- Apprentices: $1,400
Scholarships and fundraising are available.